Breaking The Mold

The first time I had a noticeable reaction to mold was in 2013. I was house sitting and felt nauseated and had difficulty breathing every time I went inside the house. Then one evening I pulled back the drapes on a window in the master bedroom and saw that the entire wall was covered in thick black mold.

I had been sick with ME/CFS for a couple years at that point, the illness varying day to day, which made it difficult to tell how much the mold really impacted my health.

Despite my illness, I had never had issues with mold until that point. I would say, for most of my life, I wasn’t even aware of the harm that mold can do. I knew what it was, of course, but I thought I was invulnerable to it. I lived in houses with mold when I was a kid, but it didn’t bother me. My mom would cough all night from the mold exposure, but I was perfectly fine. In college, I lived in a dingy dorm room, and later a dingy house, that was full of mold, but none of it was an issue for me.

I had heard stories of people with ME/CFS and other chronic illnesses having sensitivities to mold, but I never fell into that category, and to a certain extent I still don’t. Mold is not the driving force of my illness, but at some point it did start to have a noticeable impact on me.

It wasn’t until my house sitting encounter with mold that I felt its effects. Then, in 2015, I became severely ill from ME/CFS and couldn’t eat, speak, or walk. Mold wasn’t a factor in the sudden decline of my health — my apartment was clean and I had tested negative for exposure to mold.

In 2017 I once again tested negative for mycotoxins, which as I understand it, come from exposure to mold.

Once again I went through a stretch of a few years relatively unconcerned by mold and my health gradually improved. I thought I was in the clear, but I also had chronic sinus infections and a persistent cough, so I decided to do some investigating. I did another mold test, this time on the dust in my room, which basically consisted of wiping the surfaces with a Swiffer cloth and sending it to a company called Mycometrics to be analyzed.

Even still, I figured it was just a precaution. I didn’t expect the results to be telling, and I definitely didn’t think they’d be alarming. I guess I underestimated the presence of mold in my house, mainly because I live in a warm, dry climate. I’ve always thought that mold needed a wet, humid climate to thrive. But I was wrong — mold can be sneaky.

From the test results I learned that my house, or rather my room in the house, is in the 80th percentile of households in the US. But how? I didn’t see any mold. I didn’t smell any mold. I had sinus issues and a cough, but I thought that stuff was caused by my illness.

One good thing about the test was it gave me something that I could potentially fix and while it wouldn’t make my illness go away it could make me feel better and improve my immune system.

Another good thing is that the most abundant types of mold in my house were not the worst kinds. In other words, there was no black mold in the house. The weird thing was that the molds that did show up in my house were often found in damp areas like a bathroom or laundry room, which didn’t fit with the area of the house that was tested — my bedroom. There is a bathroom across the hall, but there’s no mold there and it’s still relatively far away from my room. And the laundry room is downstairs, even farther away. None of it made sense.

Another thing I considered was that the previous year the floor in the house was ripped up and a new one was put in. That could have released some mold spores into the rest of the house. But I don’t think that was it. In the end I discovered the true source of the mold completely by accident.

One day I started hearing a scratching sound coming from the AC unit mounted on my wall. I thought there was a mouse or termites in the wall. But when my mom took a look inside the AC unit, we saw a layer of white gunk on the fan blades. At first I thought it was maybe frost from the AC refrigerant used to cool down the room temperature, but it didn’t melt when I turned the unit off.

Next a repairman came out to look at the AC unit. His first words were: “Yep, that’s mold.”

It turns out that the second highest level of mold on the test was aureobasidium pullulans, which is often found in, wait for it … AC units. The repairman suggested that the mold grew in the AC because, during the summer, it gets to be well over a hundred degrees Fahrenheit and I keep my room around seventy degrees, but then I turn it off at night, which creates humidity and condensation that basically turns the AC unit into a giant orgy of mold spores. It almost sounds like fun, if I was a mold spore.

It was both a relief and a concern to find the source of the mold. The relief was knowing where it was coming from and the concern was: How the hell do I get rid of it?

I couldn’t do much if anything about it, but thankfully my mom jumped into action and started cleaning the fan inside the AC unit. The tricky part was not releasing the mold into the air and exposing my compromised immune system to it, especially considering that the AC unit is, oh, about four feet from my face. But there wasn’t much I could do to get out of the way. I could have gone outside, but it was too hot. So I just put a mask on and hoped for the best.

The other tricky part was that the mold had attached itself to each individual blade of the fan. To clean it, my mom had to use a pipe cleaner and Q-Tip to painstakingly scrub each blade. And she had to do it while standing on a step ladder in an awkward position. It took two rounds of cleaning and several hours total, but she eventually got it all.

I had crowdsourced for advice and ordered a solution called Benefact, which is nontoxic but lethal to mold, bacteria, and all the other bad stuff. I also stopped turning the fan off at night. Instead, now I raise the temperature in the room so the condensation doesn’t settle in the AC unit. So far it seems to have worked — the mold has not returned.

As for the effects of mold on me, I’m not a mold expert or even that knowledgeable on the topic, but based on what I do know, I believe that mold is hazardous for pretty much everyone, regardless of how obvious the symptoms are. I realize that some types of mold are more harmful than others and some can even be relatively benign, but it seems that with my immune system compromised by ME/CFS, I have become more sensitive to mold.

Since the AC was cleaned, I haven’t noticed an improvement in my sinus issues or the cough, but perhaps enough time hasn’t gone by. There’s also the possibility that there is mold in other parts of the house. The only way to tell for sure will be to retest.

I haven’t yet retested my mycotoxin levels or the dust in the house. I should have done it before cleaning out the mold, but you know how medical stuff is — anything but expeditious — and I didn’t want to wait around with an orgy of mold happening above my head. Hopefully I’ll get the Mycometrics and mycotoxins tests redone soon. And best believe I’ll tell everyone the results.

BEFORE YOU GO…

1. Thanks for reading!

2. If you would like to donate to support this blog I would be so grateful.

3. I am fundraising to pay my medical bills and if you’d like to help out by buying a shirt or hoodie I’d be equally grateful. I get about $5 for every shirt sold.

5 thoughts on “Breaking The Mold

Add yours

  1. Hi, I’ve been reading along and made a couple of past comments. Hope they were received. Have you experienced/tried working with any kind of energy healing practitioner? Many can work remotely so you don’t have to leave the house. Please message me if you would like any info or referrals. I’m sure we could find a team to do some work pro bono.
    Also, have you crowd sourced funds for air purifier?

    Like

  2. If you have not already done so take a look at the Mold Avoiders website (part of the Paradigm Change website that Lisa Petrison runs) https://moldavoiders.com/

    The theory is that mold tests can be helpful sometimes but are not reliable in determining whether mold is a significant problem for ME/CFS patients. Wiping the mold off you A/C unit does nothing to get rid of the mycotoxins (the poisons mold makes) which could be part of what is keeping you sick. And mold can be behind the walls, completely hidden unless the wall is opened up. It can take very little to trigger symptoms if you immune system is already primed to react to mold and/or mold toxins.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you, I’ll definitely check it out. The hard part of mold avoidance is you have to have a certain level of health to do a lot of it. I’m not well enough to go live in a tent in the desert. So I can really only do what my body has the strength for, which that alone is terrifying.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply to Tamara Reeme Glavor Cancel reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: